How to use Artificial Intelligence During your Job Search
Recruiting has drastically changed over the last few years. Employers today are increasingly using artificial intelligence (AI) to sort through resumes for each job opening. AI allows companies to instantly search through resumes to find the applicants that best match what they are seeking. While this is great for companies, a lot of qualified applicants are being overlooked due to how the algorithms work.
Check out some practical tips to prepare for how artificial intelligence is involved during your job search:
- Context and Keywords: When preparing to apply for a job, look through the job posting and use the same terminology and keywords in your CV and cover letter. Clearly list your skills and years of experience with each one. Companies will give a closer look for specific numbers, revenue-generating percentages, and quantities. It is important to keep the language in the simplest and most straightforward way possible. Be sure your information is readable and grammatically correct. Be sure to write like a human and not a robot. Another simple and sometimes forgotten tip is to always spell-check everything that is submitted.
- Your Online Presence: It is well known nowadays, to keep tabs on the content of your social media pages. It is important to maintain them to be respectable and that ensure there isn’t anything inappropriate that you wouldn’t want an employer to see. However, if you do not have an online presence at all, you could be at a huge disadvantage. Be sure to keep your LinkedIn profile up to date and, depending on your career, a personal website might be helpful. For instance, a photographer, graphic designer, or editorial writer may want to have an online portfolio available for easy and immediate access.
- Formatting: We spend hours on our phones or tablets daily, but those are not necessarily text-friendly formats for job hunting. Create your resume and cover letters in a traditional text-based format that isn’t challenging for AI to scan. Then save those documents in a cloud-based service, such as Google Drive, so you can apply on any site while scrolling LinkedIn on your phone.
- Applicant Tracking: Some companies let you add your information to applicant tracking systems. Applicant tracking systems allow you to apply for “any” position at the company you are interested in working for. While this is technically applying for nothing, adding your resume and contact information to the company’s database provides you a chance that your application will surface for consideration in the future.
- Dive into the Talent Pools Other recruiting technology companies focus on aggregating data from professional networking sites. While getting an email notifying you that you didn’t receive the job is disappointing if the email includes an invite to join a talent pool, take advantage of it. This will allow you to get in front of other great employers without ever having to apply, in the end saving you time and helping you find a great job.
Remember, artificial intelligence has changed the job search process for both job seekers and employers. In order to compete, candidates must respond to the new reality and adapt to leverage their online profiles and tackle the interview process.
Questions and Consultations
If you have questions or if you’d like to schedule an appointment to discuss your finances, contact us today.
The opinions voiced in this material are for informational purposes only and are not intended to provide specific advice to any individual. Consult your legal, tax, and/or financial advisor to determine what is appropriate for your situation.
As a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA), Partnership Wealth Management is committed to providing our clients with financial planning and wealth management services to help them work towards their financial goals. At Partnership Wealth Management, we have a long history of working with the LGBT community. Among the many services we offer are financial planning and estate planning strategies for gay and lesbian couples. Financial planning is an important part of preparing for the future; contact us today to get started: www.partnershipwm.com.